Lucifer is a television series on the FOX network. It is based on a comic book series of the same name, published by the DC Comics imprint Vertigo. The series was picked up on May 9th 2015, and it is scheduled to air on TV in 2016.
The character Lucifer Morningstar was originally created by writer Neil Gaiman as part of his series The Sandman in 1989. Mike Carey wrote a spin-off series titled The Sandman Presents: Lucifer in 1999, then wrote a Lucifer solo series for 75 issues that ended in 2006.
The TV series has a premise similar to the comic. They both depict a Lucifer who has willingly abdicated his throne in Hell, and taken ownership of a nightclub called Lux in Los Angeles. The comic deals with the theological questions Lucifer raises when he challenges the Judeo-Christian god, specifically those of free will and predestination. The TV series follows Lucifer, who decides to help the LAPD Detective Chloe Decker solve homicides for his own amusement.
Season 1 premiered on January 25, 2016 and finished airing on April 25, 2016. FOX renewed the series on April 7, 2016 for a second season. Season 2 premiered on Monday, September 19, 2016. On February 13, 2017, FOX announced that Lucifer will return for a third season.
On May 11, 2018, following the series' cancellation, executive producer Joe Henderson indicated that the third season finale was not intended to be a series finale and that it would feature a "huge cliffhanger" that was meant to deter Fox from cancelling the series. Fans rallied on Twitter and #SaveLucifer soon became the #1 trending topic worldwide with the hashtag being used approximately 1 million times that day.[The day after the #SaveLucifer campaign began, a second hashtag, #PickUpLucifer, also spent time as the number one worldwide trending tag, and returned to the top five during the finale, according to showrunner Ildy Modrovich That tag reached 1 million later that day. An online petition also began circulating aimed at renewing Lucifer for season 4 on a new network. The series is reportedly being shopped around to premium cable and streaming services.
- Tom Ellis as Lucifer Morningstar
- Lauren German as Chloe Decker
- Kevin Alejandro as Dan Espinoza
- D.B. Woodside as Amenadiel
- Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen
- Scarlett Estevez as Trixie Espinoza
- Kevin Rankin as Malcolm Graham (season 1)
- Rachael Harris as Linda Martin
- Tricia Helfer as Goddess & Charlotte Richards (season 2-3)
- Aimee Garcia as Ella Lopez (season 2-4)
- Tom Welling as Marcus Pierce (season 3)
- ↑ Lucifer article at IGN News
- ↑ http://premieredate.tv/tv-series/2893-will-lucifer-return-for-season-2-release-date.html
- ↑ Fox Renews 'Lucifer' for Season 3, Variety
- ↑ Lucifer - Renewed for a 3rd Season, SpoilerTV
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2018/05/lucifer-canceled-fox-3-seasons-1202384889/
- ↑ Lucifer has saved from Netflix for picking up Season 4, SpoilerTV